Wednesday 15 October 2014

Lil HipStar - The Creator

I thought I would give you a little insight into the world of creator of Lil HipStar, Laura.



What inspired you to start your label?
Lil HipStar launched in September 2013 in Melbourne Australia as a design and creative outlet for a stay at home mum (me!). When Oliver was born I just couldn't find the funky, hip baby blanket that I was looking for. I wanted something a little different. Before having my son Oliver, I was a full time architect. When Oliver was born with a congenial skull condition called craniosynostosis, I knew that returning to the corporate work would probably not be possible. This was a turning point and a great opportunity to have the best of both worlds: caring for Oliver, designing and creating fun exciting things for other babies that just weren't available for us! Hence as a result Lil HipStar was born.

How did you choose your business name?
Lil HipStar’s name came to be after lists and lists AND lists of names. These names were discussed with neighbors, friends and family members. A lot of back and forth went on before the name as finally chosen. Lil HipStar was chosen as I feel that it really portrays the spirit of Melbourne (which is where we live) and this funky little generation of kids. We also wanted a name that reflects the type of product we are selling: cool, modern and hip kids accessories.

Do you prefer to work with certain fabrics, colours or styles?
I absolutely love working with all fabric! I love everything about it! I love shopping for it, buying it, sewing it and the texture especially black velvety minky cuddle and jersey knit. My most favourite colours and style combinations at the moment are geometric black and white. I love the simplicity I of monochrome and the gender neutrality.

What inspires your creativity?
My creativity is this constant passion for wanting to make, create and design. For me, designing and making things has been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember. The next step in Lil HipStar’s life is to start designing and printing our all of our own fabric designs. I think this will add an extra special touch to our product range.


You can check out Laura's fantastic products at Lil HipStar

No comments:

Post a Comment