Saturday 1 November 2014

BOOK REVIEW Echoes of Scotland Street by Sam Young

Echoes of Scotland Street

The bit on the back:
Shannon MacLeod has always gone for the wrong type of man. After she drifted from one toxic relationship to the next, her last boyfriend gave her a wakeup call in the worst possible way. With her world shattered, she’s sworn off men—especially those of the bad-boy variety.

Cole Walker is exactly the sort that Shannon wants to avoid—gorgeous, tattooed, charming, and cocky. But his rough exterior hides a good man who’s ready to find “the one.” He’s determined to pull Shannon from her self-imposed solitude and win her heart.

As Shannon opens up in the face of Cole’s steady devotion, the passion between them ignites to blazing levels. But when Shannon’s past comes back to haunt her, her fears may destroy the trust Cole has built between them—and tear them apart for good…



I was going to start this review by saying 'I don't usually do this' but actually I do. I've written the odd guest review over on my best friend's blog Erins Choice. So I thought why not bring the odd book review onto my blog. 

I love to read. Sadly though, it's taken a back seat since baby came along. I no longer have the time to get lost in a book for hours on end, to lose myself in another world, become another person while life carries on around me. I need to control and care for the life that carries on around me now so reading has taken a back seat.

However when Echoes of Scotland Street was released I knew I was going to have to fit it into my busy days somewhere. Echoes of Scotland Street is the fifth novel in the On Dublin Street series by New York Best Selling Author, Samantha Young. I have read 1-3 in the series, plus the novellas Until Fountain Bridge and Castle Hill. However no. 4 Fall From India Place had passed me by (it was released when Logan was only 2 months old, I'm sure I can be forgiven) However when Erin had received an Advanced Review Copy and told me I MUST read it, I knew I would have to make time for it. This time came in the rare form of an afternoon off. After suffering from the cold for a few days Gavin decided to gather Logan up and take him to see his granny for a few hours and give me an afternoon of peace. So I decided to use these rare few hours or tranquillity so start, and subsequently finish, this book.

It's a very easy read, so much so I was able to start it and finish it in under 5 hours. The story follows Shannon MacLeod. Shannon has sworn off the 'bad-boy' type for good following bad relationship after bad relationship. She thinks she's met another bad boy in Cole Walker but Cole is set on proving her wrong. 

Shannon is the first heroine that we've never met before. In each of Samantha's novels the main characters are characters we have met in the previous novel so you already know them to a certain degree. Shannon is brand new however, which I liked. It was refreshing to have a brand new character to learn about and grow with. Cole however we already know. We first met Cole in Down London Road (book 2) as younger brother of main character Jo. At the time he was a slightly geeky teenage boy going through puberty and struggling with a tough life. In Echoes of Scotland Street it is clear that he came out the other side of puberty looking not too shabby!!! Talk about Book Boyfriend material!!!! It was so easy to fall love with Cole as quickly as Shannon did. 

Being from Scotland, and not a million miles away from Edinburgh I really enjoy the setting of these books. not often are us Scots treated to a book set in our bonnie country so its fun to read about somewhere that I can really picture.

There are not many major plot twists and the outcome of the story is relatively predictable but I really enjoyed reading how Shannon and Cole came to be together. They have great chemistry together and their blossoming relationship is an enjoyable one to read.

If you haven't read anything by Samantha Young before I would recommend starting from the beginning of the series, it isn't necessary, you could read this as a stand alone novel as Sam does give you a bit of back story to the other characters, however its a fantastic series and worth reading them all.

Kirsty x

No comments:

Post a Comment